NEIGHBORHOOD

NEIGHBORHOOD

1508 OCEAN AVENUE

A copy store today, 1508-1516 Ocean Avenue opened as one of the first banks on Ocean Avenue in the 1920s. The building used to have elaborate detailing around windows and doors with a false bell tower and a small courtyard to the east. Only a small amount of the Mediterranean Revival styling still remains. All photos courtesy of The Western Neighborhoods Project (www.outsidelands.org).

City College

The demolition of the old Industrial School and the House of Correction/Branch County Jail/Ingleside Jail ended one phase of the history of the House of Refuge Lot, but signalled the beginning of another: the construction of City College of San Francisco. The Industrial School once stood on the grounds of today’s football field. All photos courtesy of The Western Neighborhoods Project (www.outsidelands.org).

El Rey Theater

AThe first film to play at the El Rey was “The Smiling Lieutenant”, starring Maurice Chevalier. The theater opened in 1931 and closed in 1977. Designed by Timothy Pfleuger, who is best known for his work on the Paramount in Oakland, the El Rey still stands to this day as a church. All photos courtesy of The Western Neighborhoods Project (www.outsidelands.org).

St. Emydius Catholic Church

In 1910 and 1911, a concerted effort for a local church to be erected began in earnest. Local Catholics formed a building association, with over 100 members paying a quarter a month in dues. Fundraising through luncheons, picnics, card tournaments, and talent shows helped in the purchase of lots on the southeast corner of DeMontfort and Ashton Avenues. All photos courtesy of The Western Neighborhoods Project (www.outsidelands.org).

SF Fire Department Station #15

Station #15 of the San Francisco Fire Department, located on the north side of Ocean just west of Phelan, is a relatively new fire house built in the late 1950s. It replaced the one at the northwest corner of Ocean & San Jose. For many years the Fire Department mascot, a spotted Dalmatian, was a hit with young visitors. All photos courtesy of The Western Neighborhoods Project (www.outsidelands.org).