St. Emydius Catholic Church

In 1910 and 1911, a concerted effort for a local church to be erected began in earnest. Local Catholics formed a building association, with over 100 members paying a quarter a month in dues. Fundraising through luncheons, picnics, card tournaments, and talent shows helped in the purchase of lots on the southeast corner of DeMontfort and Ashton Avenues.

All photos courtesy of The Western Neighborhoods Project (www.outsidelands.org).